Clemens Food Group Receives Top AMI Environmental Achievement Award

Atlanta, GA - February 3, 2015 - In recognition of the company's robust recycling and energy conservation platforms, Clemens Food Group last week accepted an AMI Environmental Achievement Award during the AMIF's Environmental Conference for the Meat and Poultry Industry portion of the International Production and Processing Expo. The AMI Environmental Achievement Awards are given to those member companies that go beyond environmental compliance by designing and successfully implementing an innovative plant upgrade or environmental program.

"This award reflects our ongoing and deep commitment to being good environmental stewards and community partners," said Craig Edsill, president, Clemens Food Group (CFG). "Our team members have taken personal ownership of these initiatives, and the results are owed to their unwavering dedication." Mr. Aaron Barber, electronics supervisor, and Mrs. Ny Barber, bacon production supervisor, accepted the award on behalf of the company.

The programs that were recognized are part of CFG's overall corporate sustainability program. This program covers key areas of the business from team member and community involvement, to animal welfare and environmental initiatives. The submission for this award focused on resource conservation, and specifically the company's recent recycling and energy conservation initiatives.

Recycling

CFG follows a strict program to improve processes that increase the amount of materials leaving company facilities that can be recycled. CFG Green is program that was established to help drive continuous improvement in CFG's recycling efforts.

The goal of CFG Green is to increase recycling, while reducing the amount of waste. In addition, non-recyclable materials are no longer being shipped to landfills, but rather shipped to energy from waste plants, converting waste into electricity.

In the past, CFG's Hatfield, PA, facility has recycled 37 percent of waste materials, with the remaining 63 percent of materials heading to landfill. With improvement initiatives now in place, the facility is operating as landfill free. Future recycling goals with this initiative include 60% of all waste going to recycling and 40% of waste going to energy from waste plants.

Energy Conservation

In January 2009, CFG team members began a major renovation of the lighting system throughout the plant and cut energy use dramatically. In total, more than fourteen hundred and fifty light fixtures were updated, resulting in an energy reduction of more than 500 Kilowatts per operating hour. That total amounts to 3,060,000 Kilowatts annually, and changed the way that CFG approaches facility lighting on an ongoing basis.

About Clemens Food Group

The Clemens Food Group is a sixth-generation, family-owned integrated pork production operation including farming, processing, transportation and logistics. Based in Hatfield, PA, since 1895, the company also recently announced a major expansion project in Coldwater, MI, with the construction of a new fresh pork processing plant. Our heritage is deeply rooted in strong family values and our commitment to being responsible and contributing members of the communities where we operate, always with the highest degree of integrity and ethics. We provide service and brand solutions that help our customers profitably manage and grow their business. We focus on supplying the highest quality products to our partners via a responsive and sustainable system while providing advanced solutions that simplify our partners' operations.

For more on the Clemens Food Group and its initiatives, visit clemensfoodgroup.com. For sustainability news, updates and information, visit cfgsustainability.com.

Download Images